Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness by Jennifer Zeliff

***Please see Update***

There are so many things that can be said for this book. It is very intriguing.  There is drama, suspense, heartache, self discovery, and healing.  I have actually never really read a book like this before, and I commend Ms. Zeliff for pulling me into the story of Abby from page one.  

Abby is a normal girl, not crazy, just a little troubled.  She had a very bad relationship with her mother growing up; and her father was not really anywhere around, travelling for work mostly.  

Tiny spoiler (which actually can be read in the snippet available on Amazon) - Her mother was raped in college and as a result got pregnant.  She kept a journal about it, and about her poor parenting, that we get bits and pieces of as we read about Abby's journey towards healing.  That I really enjoyed - well, not so much enjoyed, but it helped to understand why Abby's mom was such a bitch.  Sorry to put it so bluntly.  But that is really the nicest way to describe her mother.

I do have a problem with the book though; the end left me with nothing.  There were editing issues, but that didn't really bother me because I truly enjoyed the book, and I had a hard time putting it down.  But I felt no closure in the end.  There was enough information to assume how things went, but I ended up feeling a little depressed after the last sentence; there needed to be more.  It is almost as if the author felt that the book was getting too long and rushed through it.  

All in all it was good, but I genuinely needed more.  I would recommend the book to almost anyone, I'd say 15 and up (only because of the abuse).  I think that Jennifer Zeliff has started something good, and could actually end up on a best seller list - all she needs to do is rewrite the end.


***
Update
***

I have just spoken with the author and have learned that she is working on a sequel to this book.  Thank God!  I just did not feel any kind of closure at the end of this book.  Learning that there will be another changes my perspective a lot.  I will definitely recommend this book, and if you don't like waiting around to find out what happens, wait until the next book is available.  I will be reading the sequel, for sure!  ;-)

Comments